Sunday, February 21, 2010

Final Reflection on Sturgis Curling Club


In the Sturgis Curling Club, I was one of several people who went to the Cape Cod Curling Club to learn how to play the sport of curling. We were all at the same beginner's level and so we entered this activity as equals, with no captains and no one person better than the rest.

This activty certainly fulfilled Learning Outcome 8: develop new skills. I had no idea how to play curling and I barely knew what the sport was. It was very exciting to know and understand something that is not known to many. I was able to teach my family and friends about a new sport that they never heard about. It was especially interesting for me because although I play other sports I never would imagine myself playing a sport on the ice. I don't know how to ice skate and I am not near any winter sports venues that I could go to on a regular basis. As a result I was able to expand my abilities to something I thought I could and would never do.

Orginally my goal for this activity was to learn the new skills and the sport and understand it well. I feel like at the end of my activity I did, in fact, achieve my goal. What I did to measure my how well I achieved it was when recently I was watching the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. I followed the curling tournaments and I found myself understanding the rules, the strategies and engaging myself in the sport that most people have deemed boring. I was doing this not noticing the effect of my recent activity on me. Afterwards I realized that I learned alot and in truth I achieved my goal the way I wanted to achieve it, by understanding something new, even though I realised I achived it in an unexpected manner.

I also believe that I met Learning Outcome 4: working collaboratively with others. One aspect of curling and teamwork that I found interesting is since there are less players the importance of each player increases. In volleyball if anybody made a mistake I could somehow save the ball or I could take charge and prevent the ball from falling but in curling I could not do anything to correct a mistake. Hence each player not only had an important role but everything they did became more significant and impacted the sport greater than in volleyball. I had to learn how to rely on my teammates and trust them more than I did in volleyball. It was certainly hard for me since I'm used to taking over and fixing any mistake. This challenged me unwillingly and I learned that trust is very important in a team.

As a result of this activity, I learned how to play a new sport and I more importantly I learned to have a little faith and put more trust in teammates. I will be able to use this in the future when volleyball comes around again and hopefully I will be a better teammate and player because I will trust them to play well and make less mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment