Monday, February 1, 2010

Raffle at the Student-Faculty Basketball Game

On Friday January 29, 2010, I dressed up in a tuxedo in order to sell raffle tickets to raise money for Prom Committee at the Student-Faculty Basketball game.

The fact that I was willing to dress up to an basketball game and look out of place shows perseverance and commitment in this activity which is learning outcome number 5. Few people would have done what I did and I even surprised myself by agreeing myself to do this. But I really want the prom to be as nice as possible and if I have to look "too good" in order to raise more money then I would be willing to do it.

In addition, on the spur of the moment I created a new raffle contest in order to raise more money. This shows how I am able to initiate activities (learning outcome number 3). I saw an opportunity to raise a lot of money and I took it. In the end it payed off because the money raised in this new raffle was 4 times more than the money raised in the tux raffle.

I think what I did that night of the game demonstrates how I am committed to Prom Committee and how I want to go above and beyond to help out as much as possible. As a result I also showed myself how committed I can be since I had to do new and unusual things, which are not part of my nature. Most surprisingly I learned that I can think on my feet and that I can act quickly, when I made up a new raffle on the spot. I am usually not one to think on my feet and work quickly, I like to take my time and think things thoroughly and organize everything. It was a new feeling when I created that raffle because it's not something that's part of my nature. In the end, I learned something new about myself and showed that I am capable of pushing my boundaries and do unusual things in unusual circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment