Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cape and Islands Leadership Conference - Student Council

This week I attended the Cape and Islands Leadership Conference for Student Council with Adriana, Kate, and Connor Read. The conference itself was rather disappointing because we expected, including Mrs. Yalden, that it would focus more on leadership skills and how to better lead one's school through Student Council. However, the main message that I got from the conference was enthusiasm, school spirit, lots of energy, and lots of fun, which I think are extremely important for Student Council and for the school itself. Seeing the other schools and seeing the DY, the hosts, have so much energy and so much school spirit made me realize that Sturgis, relativately, has practically none, except during Spirit Week. Other than that week, we don't that school spirit that remains throughout the year in other schools through events like sport games. Then I thought, to what extent does Sturgis need or want school spirit? Our school is very close as it is and trying to implement that stereotypical school spirit into our school would be extremely hard. As a likely candidate for presidency next year, I think about how I could leave Sturgis a bit better than when I found it (something very hard to do, by the way) and if I could try to bring more spirit into our school, which I found very challenging during Spirit Week for the class of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment